Perfect Permaculture, Group or Young Family Opportunity for Kalangadoo Organic Orchard and Apple Business 2 Titles Mt Gambier Region
1539 Mt McIntyre Road Kalangadoo, SA 5278
Kalangadoo Organic is an iconic award-winning South Australian business focussed on supplying the local community with premium quality fresh produce and value-added products.
A 14.2 ha certified organic mixed farm on two titles with orchard (primarily apples), that includes value adding second grade fruit into apple juice, cider vinegar and dried apple. Free range chooks and geese are run in the orchard to help with weed and insect control. Some additional land and trees may be available for lease for anyone wanting a larger enterprise.
Great comments come our way about this produce and this farm – here are some examples – ” best apple juice i ever
had”, “some of the best quality land in the SE (of South Australia)
It is unique in its branding of fresh produce, setting it is own price, and achieving 65% – 75% of the retail price from independently owned retail outlets and 100% at Farmers Markets. This has enabled a small orchard to remain viable where larger orchards have struggled.
It is a truly exceptional place to grow a very wide range of fruit and vegetables.
Located in the Limestone Coast of SA, midway between Adelaide and Melbourne, and only 35km from the edge of the Southern Ocean. This accounts for the mild climate (low frost incidence and few days per year exceeding 40 degrees) and some of the most reliable rainfall in southern Australia (760mm).
The land is highly productive with clay loam to sandy loam soils. A secure water supply includes 52 megalitre water licence from bores of which about 12 megalitres are currently used. It is excellent quality around 500 ppm. Another 21 megalitre licence may be available and this will be negotiable.
Under current ownership since 1996 and certified with NASAA since 2002, the property plus another small share-farmed orchard have been the owner’s sole source of income over that time while raising four children. Other families have been growing organic vegetables here for the past ten years.
The property consists of:
– 2.4 ha established apple orchard (planted 1996 to 2000)
– 0.5 ha stone fruit (mostly peaches/nectarines plus some plums, apricots and cherries)
– 0.2 ha olives (not yet producing)
– 0.2 ha mixed fruit (pear, kiwi fruit, quince, fig, persimmon and others)
– 1.5 ha native vegetation/woodlot (for biodiversity and firewood self sufficiency, planted August 2017)
– 9.0 ha perennial pasture
– 0.4 ha tracks, headlands, buildings, windbreaks
There is modest accommodation on the farm. A shed has been insulated and lined providing two bedrooms, small kitchen, office, outside dining area, composting toilet, small bathroom (hot water from Esse wood stove and solar). It is warm in Winter and cool in Summer.
Plans for straw bale home are available.
This farm is biologically diverse farm with the potential for multiple families to run multiple enterprises, in an environmentally, economically and socially sustainable way.
• Primary School in Kalangadoo 4km/4minutes drive, plus two Primary Schools in Penola 30km/24minute drive. A number of independent and Government Secondary Schools in Mt Gambier 41km/32min drive plus one Government High School in Penola 30km/24min drive. School buses to Mt Gambier and Penola leave from Kalangadoo.
• Uni SA at Mt Gambier 40km/27 minute drive. James Morrison Jazz Academy 41km/28minute drive
• Local shopping at Kalangadoo and regional shopping centre/medical services in Penola, Mt Gambier and Millicent
• Mt Gambier Airport 37km/28min
• Drive to Adelaide 415 km/4.5 hours
• Drive to Melbourne 442km/5 hours
• Beaches/river/lakes: South End beach 56 km/39 min, Canunda National Park 56km/41min, Beachport 66km/47min, Port McDonnell 65km/49min,
Robe 103km/1hour, Nelson 77km/55min – gateway to Lower Glenelg National Park (Glenelg River, 4 day canoe trip and Great South West Walk), Naracoorte Caves World Heritage Area 72km/51min, Coonawarra Wine Region 30 km/24min
• Key local annual or regular events: Generations in Jazz, South East Field Days, Penola Coonawarra Arts Festival, Cape Jaffa Seafood and Wine Festival, Fringe Mt Gambier, Coonawarra Cabernet Celebrations, Coonawarra After Dark
• Community Action for Sustainability, Mt Gambier Farmers Market, Limestone Coast Protection Alliance, Australian Network of Organic Orchardists
A wonderful Walk-in/Walk-out opportunity for a young family or group to take on an excellent farm and business with many options to bring your own passions and interests.
- 2 bed
- 1 bath
- 1 Parking Spaces