Glebe\'s name is derived from the fact that the land on which it was developed was a glebe, originally owned by the Anglican Church. \'The Glebe\' was a land grant of 400 acres (1.6 km2) given by Governor Arthur Phillip to Reverend Richard Johnson, Chaplain of the First Fleet, in 1790

In the 19th century, Glebe was home to architect, Edmund Blacket, who had migrated from England. Blacket built his family home, Bidura, on Glebe Point Road in 1858, designing it along conventional Victorian Regency lines. He also designed St John\'s Church, on the corner of Glebe Point Road and St Johns Road. The church was built from 1868 to 1870.

The Rozelle Tram Depot, opened for service on the 17th April 1904. The depot served the inner western suburbs tram routes to Leichhardt, Balmain, Birchgrove, Abbotsford, and Lilyfield. During its peak of operations the depot was a major place of employment, employing up to 650 staff and was one of few workplaces of significant size in the Glebe area during its period and ceased operations in 1958.

The suburb of Glebe was home to a first grade football team in the New South Wales Rugby League, now the National Rugby League. The Glebe Dirty Reds were formed in 1908 and played in the first seasons of rugby league in Australia, with home games at Wentworth Park.

In the 1970s, feminist activists took over an abandoned terrace house and set up Australia\'s first women\'s shelter, the Elsie Refuge.

Chinese Temple (Chinese: ???) is located in Edward Street and was originally built in 1898 by Chinese immigrants from the Guangdong province, China. It provided a focal point for the early Chinese market gardeners in the area and is still in use today.

Bellevue, located in Blackwattle Park, was built in 1896 by Ambrose Thornley for prominent Glebe resident William Jarrett. It was later restored and turned into a cafe.

St Scholastica\'s College now also in Glebe. George Allen, who established a legal firm and became Lord Mayor of Sydney in 1844, constructed this building as his home and called it Toxteth Park.

Lyndhurst This mansion was built between 1834 and 1837 for Dr James Bowman, who was the principal surgeon of the nearby Sydney Hospital. It was designed by the noted architect John Verge, in the Regency style.

Johnstons Creek rises in Stanmore and flows in a generally northward direction towards Rozelle Bay. The creek passes beneath the stands of the former Harold Park Paceway prior to emptying into Rozelle Bay at Bicentennial Park, Glebe.

The original vegetation of Glebe was the Sydney Turpentine-Ironbark Forest. A veteran Ironbark still grows at the grounds of St John\'s Anglican Church on Glebe Point Road.


Glebe\'s nearest railway station is Central, which is around a twenty minute walk away. The Inner West Light Rail line has two stations in the suburb, Glebe and Jubilee Park, with the journey from Glebe to Central taking just under twenty minutes. The 431 and 433 buses run regularly from Millers Point via George Street, Broadway and Glebe Point Road, terminating at Glebe Point and Balmain respectively. The journey time from Glebe Point Road to Town Hall on either of these services is typically between ten and twenty minutes. Glebe Point Road is also serviced by the 370 bus, which runs from Leichhardt to Coogee via Newtown, Alexandria and UNSW.

Licensing | Mobile | Advertise | Agency Registration | Member Centre | About Us | Privacy Policy | FAQ

Disclaimer | Employment | Contact Us | Terms of Use | The EcoProperty Directory | Help